April 17, 2008

The Cost of a Prayer

There are a lot of interesting characters doing some creative things for money underground. There's the man that rides my train home every day carrying a can that says "Help me buy liquor and cigarettes," the break dancers at the Union Square station, the man who plays the saw as a musical instrument in the walkway underneath Bryant Park, the people working the "stress test" tables at Atlantic/Pacific station (only $5 to find out how stressed you really are!) and a handful of other class acts asking for whatever you have in your pockets. An experience I had yesterday though, topped the list of "strangest things you want me to give you money for doing."

Anna, Stellan and I were on our way home from a lovely dinner out when we were approached in the station by some people wearing red aprons with white lettering that read, "God is a good listener." One woman was handing out brochures and asking, "Are you in need of a prayer, sir?"... "Mam, you need a prayer?" It wasn't so unusual to see religious people "selling" their ideas about a higher power, but I was caught off guard when one of the gentlemen proclaimed, "First prayer is free!"...And then what? You are going to charge me to commune with God on my behalf?? I never bothered to ask what the going rate for the second prayer was but I kind of wish I had. I want to know what kind of good deal I am getting on the prayers I say on my own. I'm a bargain hunter afterall, and I happen to know that He'll listen to me for free.

0 comments: