May 13, 2008

I'm a Crossword Maniac

I have a new hobby and it's doing crossword puzzles. I know...pretty nerdy, right? Ehhh, oh well. I can't help myself OR my nerdy tendencies sometimes.

I have gotten into the routine of picking up the free amNY newspaper every morning from the guy who apparently gets paid by the paper to scream in everyone's ear, "GOOD morning, get your AM News right here!!!!" At first, I started taking one from him in hopes that it might make him shut his trap for a minute, but he never quit. Nowadays I just nab one from him and run because I have become addicted to the best part of the otherwise okay daily news print...the daily crossword puzzle!

In the past, I have been frustrated by crosswords because they always seemed to be either way too difficult or super easy, neither of which made me feel good about my vocabulary and word fitting skills. This paper however, has puzzles with the perfect mixture of easy clues, clues I have to think about or use other letters to help me out, and the clues I need to look up on the Internet. (It's not against the rules, I swear. p.s. I make up the rules). It is the perfect activity for someone like me who sits at a desk all day and needs some kind of distraction from Corporate Law once in a while...ok, more like once a minute. I love the feeling I get when I finish one. It's a great sense of accomplishment. Even more so than finishing a whole day of work. hmmmm. Strange.

Here are some clues from today's paper. They are pretty much impossible to solve without the grid, but still, go ahead and try anyway. You'll feel good if you come up with an answer, I promise.
1 Cutting remark
18 Univalent radical
62 Eye amorously
45 Kettle and Barker
34 Dots and dashes
4 ___ carotene
50 Agronomists' study
53 Old cash in Pisa
61 Chilean mountain range

2 comments:

jamie said...

Oh how I miss those UC Davis crosswords. They saved me from many a boring lecture. :) I'm so happy to hear you've found the grown-up version.

brooke said...

I know 4 across!!! BETA :)

That's all I got. I SUCK at those things. More power to ya. Evan LOVES them too. Maybe its a brainy thing. I'm out. It doesn't help that I spend my days singing "you are my sunshine" and reviewing ABC's. Gosh, I better start working out my brain a bit more. This would be a good thing to start doing!