November 9, 2008

Political ponderings

I was living in London during the 2004 presidential election. I remember that the university where I was studying made it easy for all the American students in my program to fill out our absentee ballots and I remember that all the Brits where pretty bummed when Mr. George W. won. Crazy enough, this was my second time going through a presidential election as an expat. Only this time, I can say that it was quite a different experience and there was quite a different (and more joyous) reaction to the outcome. I suppose one could argue that the world we live in is a different place all together.

It was incredible really, how much coverage the election got here. It was on the cover of every newspaper and on every tv news station for weeks. People were also unusually interested in talking to me about politics. It's not really surprising since everyone was aware that the outcome would greatly affect the entire world, but I was still moved by the pure realization that I come from a country with such influence and power. It is a realization that makes me feel honored and patriotic but I must be honest and admit that sometimes it worries me too.

The word expatriate is defined as someone who has withdrawn themselves from residence in and/or allegiance to their native country. I may have withdrawn myself from residence in but I have not withdrawn myself from allegiance to America. Living abroad has certainly given me a new perspective on the country in which I was born. However, I think maybe that is a topic to bring up again in a future lengthier post. One thing for sure is that I will always be proud of where I am from.

I hope and pray for positive change in America just as strongly as I wish for the same all over the world. Let us all hope for the sake of the world, and not just the sake of America, that Obama will lead the United States of America with honesty and integrity and that he will be the catalyst for change that is so desperately needed.

0 comments: