January 29, 2008

Klas...like closet without the "et"

My boyfriend Klas has been visiting me for the past three and a half weeks. He left today to go back to Sweden and everything feels a bit empty now. It was a perfect visit, and even though I had to work during the week, we managed to do A LOT while he was here. He had no problems findings things to do during the days (like hanging out with all the friends he made) and we took full advantage of our time together during the evenings and weekends.

Klas is a jazz musician. Therefore, New York is his mecca. It is the trip every jazz musician must take to the city where it all began, and I was kind of along for the ride. We saw the Peter Asplund Quartet (a Swedish jazz group) perform at Lincoln Center, the Don Byron Quartet and Brad Mehldau Trio at The Village Vanguard as well as several smaller gigs in Brooklyn. Klas saw a few more gigs without me and played in two of his own. I have really enjoyed being exposed to jazz by someone who knows so much about it and appreciates it as much as he does. I'm thankful for him introducing me to the music and of course, the scene here in New York. Now I know that I can go check out some amazing musicians playing here pretty much any night of the week and make him really jealous :) I enjoyed myself and took something from all the performances but I must say that both of Klas' gigs were among my most favorite. I always enjoy his music and seeing him perform, but it was really special for me to see him play here with New York musicians and to know how much it meant to him.

While we weren't busy listening to jazz music we also managed to eat out at all my favorite restaurants (as well as try some new ones), see a couple of movies, do some serious shopping, go to the top of the Empire State Buiding, ice skate in Central Park, and do a lot of hanging out in fabulous Park Slope. I'm pretty sure another highlight for Klas was being a part of all our "girly nights" when my roommate and friends and I cut eachother's hair and watched some romantic comedies. We were tempted to paint his fingernails too but he refused for some reason.
It's always fun when you have someone to share in all the excitement this city has to offer. Especially when it is with someone who means so much. What an amazing three and a half weeks it has been... and he'll be coming back in March so it won't be too long before I get to see him again.
He came to visit me at my office.
The gig in Williamsburg.
Klas and his tenor sax.
Oh, the things you see in Times Square. We couldn't resist.

1 comments:

Anayansi said...

you have no idea how excited jenna got when she saw ya'll with elmo.

sounds like ya'll had a great time!