February 16, 2008

Band of Horses

I went to see one of my latest favorite bands play at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple on Valentine's Day and my, oh my, oh my, was it a great one. It's been a while, too long in fact, since I have felt the goosebumps that come from hearing the opening riff to my favorite song being played before my eyes, or had the ringing in my ears keeping me awake after coming home from a show because I stood too close to the speakers.

Band of Horses has some serious potential to make it big (even though I am actually much happer seeing them at the Masonic Temple than Madison Square Garden). Lead singer Ben Bridwell has a voice so pure and piercing it seems unreal. His lyrics are both deep and approachable and can often be both serious and playful at the same time. You can't help but judge a band by their recorded work, and both of their albums are fantastic, but it has always been a great live performance that has cemented a band into my "top ten". And after Thursdays performance, Band of Horses currently holds position numero uno.

p.s. Does anyone know what the heck a Masonic Temple is anyways?

2 comments:

Probative said...

Sounds fun.

A masonic temple is a meeting house for a local masonic lodge (or for several lodges).

Google/Wiki search "Freemasonry."

(Freemasonry has some very interesting connections to mormonism btw).

Unknown said...

That does sound like fun. I miss going to shows & falling in love with new bands like that. I feel so out of the loop sometimes because I don't really keep up with music like I used to, now that I am so busy with the kids. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!