March 17, 2008

Spring Fever

There is a proverb, "Spring has come when you can put your foot on three daisies." I've been searching desperately for daisies for a month now and as far as I can tell, it's definitely still winter here in New York.

I am currently suffering from the worst case of spring fever ever experienced. I am restless and anxious and angry at the world for still being cold. All I want to do is to leave my winter jacket at home and head outdoors with nothing more than a light coat. I want to wear sexy heels to work instead of my fake uggs. I want to spend the weekends roaming barefoot across the Great Lawn in Central Park and I want to sit at a sidewalk cafe and read in the warmth of the sunshine for hours on end. Really, is it so much to ask for a little sunshine this time of year?

More than anything, I am longing for the rejuvenation and rebirth of spirit that comes along with my favorite season. Spring has always been a magical time of year for me; one of fresh starts and new beginnings. For one, spring means Easter and Easter means my birthday is not so far off...except for this year, of course, when Easter comes freakishly early. (Just another tease to make it seem like it should be later and warmer than it actually is). Spring means tulips and bunnies. It means chocolate and eggs, sun dresses and mary janes. What I'm learning now, however, is that it mostly means those things when you grow up in California where spring weather starts as early as the end of February.

I'm learning to cope with the winter downers in my own little ways but it hasn't been easy. All I can do is be optimistic in knowing that it will eventually come. In the meantime, I will wear sunglasses even though the sun isn't out. I will eat peeps even though I don't like them and I will, by god, wear my light springy sweater to the grocery store even though I'll freeze the whole three blocks there and back. Mostly, I will just keep pretending that spring has, in fact, already sprung.

1 comments:

brooke said...

I hate to say it...but my sister, my friend: YOU MOVED TO NY! We warned you. Is it enough to bring you back to Cali? That is our hope. We love and miss you.