May 19, 2008

They're Just Jealous

This article from today's NY Times about Park Slope, the nighborhood where I live in Brooklyn, cracked me up.

It analyzes the phenomenon of Park Slope haters and why they so strongly profess their dislike of the neighborhood. The article focuses a lot of attention on the fact that Park Slope is full of stroller pushing "latte moms" (a Swedish phrase I stole), which is in fact true, but I never knew it aggravated so many people. I guess that's probably because I am one to ooh and awe at all the cute babies in their expensive strollers and hip clothes. I don't mind them or their parents patroning the same cafes, restaurants or boutiques as I do.

As I have said before, we are happy as clams living in the peaceful yet bubbly Park Slope and have really found our niche there. Even this weekend, I went into Manhattan to do some shopping and ended up back in The Slope, only to find what I was looking for right around the corner from our front steps. I've made a habit of walking to and hanging out in nearby Prospect Park and have only recently enjoyed the beauty of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (see Cherry Blossom Festival post). I have my favorite bagel place, coffee shop and of course my favorite little second-hand store all within a two block radius. I love the place, and agree with the explanation one guy quoted in the article has about Park Slope haters..."They're just jealous because they can't live here."

0 comments: