October 21, 2008

The Klas Toresson Quartet

There are are a lot of exciting things going on right now for Klas. He has a crazy busy schedule and is pretty much playing somewhere with someone every night of the week. If it isn't a recording gig in a studio, it's a Norwegian tour with a big band or a weekly gig at a jazz venue in Stockholm. That boy never stops. On days when he doesn't have a gig, he is at his rehearsal studio practicing and writing music. Both he and I like to refer to his saxophone as his mistress since he spends as much time with the thing as he does me :) I admire his discipline and his passion for his work and am not so sure I would do such a good job of being self-employed.

In December, Klas will be releasing his first album, called Statement. While he has recorded backgrounds on several albums and been a part of other people's projects, this album will be his own. All the tracks are songs he has written specifically for his quartet, which is a band that holds a special place in my groupie heart.

When Klas and I were in the early stages of dating (one and a half years ago) I went and saw him play with his quartet. It was an experience I will never forget, and not just because he was winking and smiling at me from on stage. It was a musical experience that changed me and created a desire in me to learn more about jazz. While we were at the photoshoot for the album cover this past Sunday, I remembered that I had taken a short video that night when I first saw them play. I wish it was longer...

These four guys have some kind of magical musical connection between them and with Klas' music, the magic comes to life. I am so proud of him and all the work he has put into the album and I can't wait for its December release. Don't you worry, I will be exporting several copies to the U.S.

1 comments:

Liz said...

He is so talented!! Cant wait to hear him live sometime,,,,,